Sunday, December 9, 2007

Love is All you Need

The weekend before finals is always tough. While I desperately wanted to enjoy my last weekend at JMU until next fall (I'll be in Italy for the spring) I was also tortured by the thought of the papers, portfolios, tests, packing, moving and traveling awaiting me this week. However, tonight's adventures proved to be worth the procrastination.

I ended up at the Bag on East Market Street and saw a great band, The Nice Jenkins who were playing with The Octagon and The Cinnamon Band. I wish these types of shows and events were more easily accessible because I know for me personally, it has taken until this year for me to discover these awesome opportunities to see and hear new music and meet people who are into it as much as I am. There needs to be a better way to get the word out to students about these types of shows because they are a great way to get out, meet awesome people, see really talented bands and do it all without necessarily having to spend any money or feel pressured into a crazy party scene (not to say shows can't be crazy, they usually are, but in a good way). The JMU student station, WXJM, does a great job putting on a variety of bands, but there is so much more happening all time.
I am hoping this blog will become a way for people to find out about shows like this and new artists playing around Harrisonburg, because there really is a great music scene happening all around us. JMU has an extremely talented school of music and so many students dedicated to bringing great music on or around the campus. However, it is up to YOU to take advantage of it.

While I am on the subject of YOU, I would really like to encourage comments, suggestions, questions, topic ideas and whatever else you would like to contribute. I want this blog to cater to music-lovers of all types and genres and from all over. If you are part of a music organization (WXJM, UPB, a music class, MACroCk) or you just like booking or attending shows or just rocking out to a solid tune: let me know! I'd love to make you a part of this as much as possible because that's why I'm writing this right now...YOU.

After seeing part of the show I made my way over to Grafton for "Across the Universe", the Beatles movie I've been anticipating since I saw one coming attraction back in May and never heard another word about until I found it was already out of theaters.
I was surprised and excited by the turn out for the film. Two long lines were waiting to get in when we arrived and I don't think I have ever seen the theater so full. I guess I was not the only one procrastinating...
The film was interesting. I knew it was a movie musical set to a soundtrack catalog of one of my favorite bands, The Beatles, but I did not know how intricate the entwined story lines would become or how intense some of the "drug" scenes were. Watching the film was an experience. It was trippy and confusing at times, but brilliant. The way different stories of different people were mixed together was fascinating and the way it captured the entire atmosphere of the 1960's culture was incredible.
When I came home to write about it, I found an article that helped to clarify any misunderstandings I had, which really helped me appreciate the film a lot more. It also confirmed my suspicion that Bono made a cameo, Sadie was an interpretation of Janis Joplin and Jo-Jo was a version Jimi Hendrix. I thought these references and interpretations of other important figures of the time period was brilliantly done.
However, my favorite part of the movie was not a particular scene or song. I loved the way it took a typical, personal love story and fit it into one of the most explosive time periods of the century by mixing up the relationship with the war protests and the political upheaval that surrounded people our own age at the time. It also captured the most incredible facet of the Beatle's music: its timelessness. It has a way of transcending time, which I find fascinating. The way their melodies captured their own raw human emotions back then still apply, perhaps more than ever, today, and THAT is what music is missing. Go ahead and try to name one band that could capture our entire generation's feelings and experiences like the Beatles did for the 60's. Let me know if you think of something good.
I also feel the film came out at a crucial time. Watching soldiers carry the Statue of Liberty in their underwear while singing "She's so Heavy" was intense. And during an argument between Jude and Lucy when she shouts something about people finally caring about the war when bombs start dropping here was sickeningly ominous, especially because I think I have said the same thing.

Mom and Dad, if you are reading: I would love to see this one in my stocking at Christmas (hopefully it's out by then). It's confusing and trippy and there were times I literally asked Jimmy who was sitting beside me, "What is happening?” but at the same time, it was so effective in really capturing the time period, the emotional struggle of the characters and the horror, pain and loss of war. And like the NY Times article says, for a moment, it really does convince you: All you need is love. Maybe love really is all you need...

1 comment:

Jimmy O. said...

'Across the Universe' was definitely one of the best films I've seen in a while, but there were some mad trippy scenes that were quite artsy and hard to "get," I agree with you.