Monday, September 8, 2008

Danny Hill

Danny Hill is not a music major. He has never taken formal guitar or vocal lessons. He is pursuing an ISAT major with a concentration in energy and is co-concentrating in Business. Though, in most normal circumstances one might think of science and art as two areas on complete opposite sides of the cerebral spectrum, Hill proves the most analytical can also be the most creative.
“I taught myself guitar and never thought I could sing to save my life,” confesses the senior JMU student. “I hear the imperfections in my songs and not always the good, but I think that’s what makes artists progress.”
Hill has been playing guitar since he picked up the instrument junior year of high school back in Springfield, Virginia. Aside from a few trumpet lessons in the sixth grade, Hill’s music experience was limited to his appreciation for it and self-motivation to learn how to play guitar, sing and write songs independently.
“I play because I love it,” says Hill. “It’s not to make money and I enjoy it because there are no deadlines and no pressure. Whenever I feel like writing, I write.”
Hill’s songs reflect his unrestrained song-writing and performance style, with lilting vocals, raw guitars and honest lyrics reminiscent of Bright Eyes front man Conor Oberst.
“I don’t like to write songs ‘for’ people and get asked a lot if a certain song is ‘about’ someone,” explains Hill. “But I usually write about events in my life or even things I see going on in other people’s lives.”
This removed perspective adds to the abstract and almost mysterious quality to Hill’s simple, but intriguing style, enhancing the personal feeling of the gentle tracks and further lending him to comparisons to other accomplished artists including some of his greatest influences including Ola Podrida, Okkervil River and Damien Rice.
“I like their style and the movement in their songs,” Hill clarified. “The way they structure their music is not typical like so much of what’s on the radio.”
However, Hill cannot completely reject everything on the radio, as he has been featured on the JMU student-run station, WXJM 88.7FM.
“Hearing the preview of artists coming up next and my name being announced was a little surreal,” he laughed. “Hearing my song on the radio with the intro and everything was really cool.”
Like many unsigned artists, Hill utilizes MySpace.com as his major form of self-promotion and has been ranked as high as the 13th most popular unsigned folk/rock artist in Virginia. The site, www.myspace.com/dannyhillmusic, features four of his professionally recorded tracks which were mixed at the local Silver Sun Productions studio, run in Harrisonburg by JMU alumnus Graham Cochran who also helps record various other JMU musical ensembles and groups.
“I think it’s awesome that it gives musicians a chance to be heard without being signed to a major label,” said Hill. “It allows listeners to hear music they normally wouldn’t.”
As for Hill, he finds most of the music he listens to through the popular blog, www.aminalsound.com, which features bloggers’ favorite music of the moment. The site is open to anyone, however certain bloggers are better known than others for their impeccable taste and some are even sponsored.
Hill has performed at open-mic events, but has yet to open for any Harrisonburg bands or headline any local venues, though show opportunities are always welcome for the folk-rock singer/songwriter.
“I’d love to get out there and play for an audience,” mused Hill. “So far it’s really only been for friends and small events, not major shows in the area.”
As his popularity grows, perhaps Danny Hill will develop into more than an ISAT major and JMU senior, and become a regular local performer. Until then, Hill serves as proof that anyone, music major or not, can do what they love and find success by their own terms.

To hear Danny’s music, check out: http://www.myspace.com/dannyhillmusic

No comments: